Expressions in Use and in Development on this Site
- Activists. The wildly diverse world-wide grab-bag of boat-rockers, neck-sticker-outers, city-hall-fighters, tree-huggers, community-builders, movement-makers, rabble-rousers, word-warriors, consciousness-raisers, society-changers, organizers, agitators, revolutionaries, freedom-fighters and creative gadflies devoted to mobilizing movements to transform human society into a place of justice, equality and compassion.
- The Beast. A well-known metaphor for the system of exploitation, destruction and oppression we live in and struggle against — around the globe and in our own colonized minds and bodies. Capitalism and imperialism are The Beast, but The Beast also encompasses older social inequalities, irrationalities, isms and cruelties that the current system adopts and adapts to its purposes.
- Liberated Zones. Spaces activists create in the midst of social justice movements, to meet basic needs, find refuge, build solidarity, and experiment with new ways of life they want to see and are struggling to win in the whole society.
- Friend-Relation-Colleague-Comrade (FRCC). Attempt at summing up what activists are to one another–a deep, multifaceted, complex connection that deserves more exploration.
- Activist Culture. [coming soon]
- Activist Community. [coming soon]
- Fiction Featuring Activists. [coming soon]
- Reality-Fiction Continuum. [coming soon]
- Colonized. Taken over by the Beast. I prefer this term to “internalized, when referring to the forcible invasion and oppression of our minds and bodies required to keep this system (see “The Beast”) going, because it accurately denotes the violence and lack of agency of those on the receiving end of colonization. As with the other terms listed here, more discussion of this one to follow in posts.